From Labs to Prefabs Seminar
How are researchers, developers and designers working together to make our cities better?
The Building Centre, London
Wednesday 26 April, 6.30pm
Find out what it takes to invent an innovative product and launch it to market. From researching the demand to developing ideas, learn how new materials and building components can be created for key architectural projects.
Hear from Ernst ter Horst, project lead of the HOME Arts Centre, who will discuss the materiality and design process of this award-winning building located in Manchester. He will be joined by Trimo who worked with Mecanoo Architects to produce and test a new facade solution that met the aesthetic and performance requirements of the design.
Also hear from the researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison working on an energy-harvesting floor technology that converts footsteps into electricity using wood pulp. Discover the tests being done to bring this technology to market.
And start-up company Polysolar will explain how funding from Innovate UK helped them bring transparent photovoltaic glass to market.
- Ernst ter Horst, project lead on the HOME Arts Centre by Mecanoo Architects and associate designate at Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Chunhua Yao, researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Liam McGrath, technical manager at Trimo. Liam provided expertise and support for Mecanoo working on the HOME Arts Centre.
- Hamish Watson, founder & CEO of Polysolar Ltd
- Chair: Lewis Blackwell, curator of SuperMaterial
This event is the last in the SuperMaterial series and it's your last chance to see the exhibition. Arrive early and get two for one on your first wine or beer from our bar run by The Gentlemen Baristas.
Places are free but booking is essential.
The Building Centre
T: +44 (0) 207 692 4000